Bridgeport Connecticut History
The Fairfield County Courthouse, built in 1888, still stands as a testament to the time in Bridgeport's history. Connecticut had a county government for more than 200 years, nine of which now survive. The county government was abolished in Connecticut in the 1960s, but the Fairfields County Courthouse is still located at its original location on the corner of Main Street and Main Avenue, just a few blocks from downtown.
Other people settled in the interior and west, and together the area became known as Fairfield Village in 1694, before it was renamed Stratfield after the existing town. In the late 16th century, more people from the East Coast settled in and around Bridgeport, but it also became known as "Stratfield" because of its proximity to New Haven and Hartford.
Newfield, a village on the west bank of the Pequonnock, was founded in the 19th century as a district of Bridgeport. In 1821, Bridgeport, which included other parts of Stratfield, was incorporated, and in 1823 Bridgefield Village was incorporated.
In 1857, the surviving company was founded as the Bridgeport Hydraulic Company by Thomas Tlie and his three brothers, who had acquired the rights to the Bridgeport Water Company, and this became the name of the company's charter. Tlies and the other three brothers began production in 1858 at their home in Newfield, a few miles south of the city.
The most recent public records of the Bridgeport Hydraulic Company dating from 1910 date back to 1858.
This toll road, dating from the late 18th century, extended as far as Danbury and became the first intersection between the Connecticut River and the New Haven River in Bridgeport.
The Turnpike charter was dissolved and the Borough of Bridgeport was founded in 1812 as the City of New Haven, the first of its kind in the United States. At the time, the citizens led by Solon B. Wales Monroe raised enough money for the state of Connecticut to cover the cost of converting the inserts into a free public road. In the 19th century, Bridgeports was incorporated as a borough and named after its first drawbridge over the river. The port flourished at the beginning of the new century and by the beginning of the 20th century the district had reintegrated, this time with a population of about 1,000 people.
Stratfield and the entire neighborhood, with a population of about 1,000, is the largest single-family residential area in Bridgeport and one of the most historic boroughs in the city. Other Bridgeports projects included the construction of Lakeview Village (originally known as Mill Green) in the late 19th century. Stratfield House, an 18th-century brick house on Fairfield Avenue that was rebuilt in Victorian Gothic style in 1870 and moved to its current location on Fairfield Avenue in 1912-3, added further historical depth to the neighborhood.
These include 17th century buildings such as the Bridgeport Museum of Art, the New Haven Museum and the Connecticut Historical Society, as well as a number of buildings in the area.
The reserve was granted to the Golden Hill Indians in 1639 by the Connecticut colony and lasted until 1802. The original owners of the property, the New Haven Indians and their descendants, later moved to New York City.
The Frisbie Pie Company was founded in Bridgeport and the town is considered the birthplace of the Frisbie Pie Company. Manufacturing was a mainstay of the local economy until the 1970s, when industrial restructuring and suburbanization led to the loss of many jobs and wealthy residents, and the country struggled with problems such as poverty and violent crime. Industrial restructuring and suburbs have led to a loss of high-tech manufacturing jobs and a decline in income levels for many residents in recent years, as they have left the bridge port to fight problems such as homelessness, poverty, crime, drug addiction and crime in general. Industrial restructuring and suburbs have caused a loss In the 1990 "s and early 2000" s, manufacturing was the mainstay of the local economy, while industrial restoration and subdivisions in many jobs and affluent neighborhoods have led to a decline in incomes for some affluent residents, while Bridgeports has struggled with poverty and violent crime, according to the Connecticut Department of Transportation.
In the 1830s East Bridgeport was still largely farmland, but the area was developed and it did not take long for it to become an important industrial area. The village of Stepney, also known as Leavenworth Mills or Lower Stepneys in the early 19th century, was developed further south in Bridgeports along the Newtown Turnpike. The stately homes along Clinton and Brooklawn Avenues became part of the settlement that began to develop around the city's turnstiles and first post-war industrial complex.
The city was founded to subsidize the Housatonic Railroad and industrialized after the construction of the New York and New Haven Railroad in the late 18th and early 19th centuries. In the early 20th century, the city was incorporated and in 1884 a trolley service to Bridgeport # 16 was added in conjunction with the city of Bridgeport. Until 1910 lights were installed in the bridge tower of the city centre and cars and light rail lines were built. On July 1, 1912, the Newtown Turnpike and the Connecticut and Connecticut Railroad, and on July 2, 1913, the New Jersey and Rhode Island Railways and later the Hartford and Hartford Railroads, began operations to connect Bridgeport with New London, Connecticut, Hartford, St. Paul, Providence, Boston and Providence.